Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Changing of the Guard (more specifically – Hello to a New Camera, Goodbye to the Old) …

Okay, this might seem silly … but I’m almost heart-broken over the fact I have to replace my Sony Cybershot (point & shoot) camera.

You might begin laughing, but realize this … I am sad, teary-eyed, and crying. It wasn’t just an ordinary camera – it has been my best friend for the last five years.

** We’ve been through quite a few NASCAR races (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014) together    

** We’ve been through several birthdays (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014) together 

** We’ve been through several Christmases (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014) together 

We’ve been through quite a bit it seems … 

We’ve taken two road trips to California (2011 and 2012), and together we also went on the “trip of a lifetime” to capture memories that I can only share with my photos (and some videos)   

I know … not THAT again!!! But, it is part of the camera’s history. Part of why I am crying. This camera and I made a remarkable history together – we even boarded four (4) airplane rides together. Not as checked baggage, but … in my pocket, on my lap, and looking out the window (something I thought I'd NEVER do).

It was the camera that someone used to capture an epic picture of me and my favorite actor/director (and of course the owner of a Torino used it for another epic picture, check my Twitter avatar for that one). So, it’s a bit hard to pull it out of the purse for the last time to photograph its replacement.   

Now, as we enter into the last NASCAR race mom and I are attending together (though down the road I might go to one by myself) … I’m reminded of how truly special that little pink Cybershot really is. It likely won’t visit this race. Then again its predecessors attended only one (1) or three (3) of the races.

That little one? It did quite a bit of the load! I am not kidding you. It was definitely worth every penny   

I know my mom will take care of it, and I can visit everyday … but, there is something inside that really hurts as I take the last few pictures off of that blasted-ass PRO MEMORY DUO STICK THAT NEVER FIT MY COMPUTER’S PORT!! At least the new camera uses the SD memory card!! 


[The box of the NEW camera. It is a 2012 model though]

 
[Should always get a second battery. I had one with the old camera and was grateful as most of them only last so long. During a NASCAR race? Two batteries are essential. Also, a new memory card was a MUST for this camera. I've previously used FUJI-xD and the Sony Pro-Duo Memory Stick. Now this memory card can fit in my laptop]

[Always cool to explore a new toy. This is a purple/violet one, and the camera uses a USB cable/adapter to charge the batteries]


I initially had a hard time getting the laptop (which is purple too) to read the camera card … arrrgh!!! But, installed a patch and so far, so good.


The new camera has a few cool features:

** 16.2 MEGA PIXELS (I remember getting excited about a 12mp)
** 3” (inch) display
** Touch-screen Menu Display
** Full HD 1080i
** 3D still image and 3D Sweep Panorama mode3
** Intelligent Sweep Panorama HR mode
** Background Defocus
** Face Detection
** Smile Stutter and Anti-Blink
** Natural Flash

And so much more!!

You can read about it here:



While it is a great camera (and comes in the color I LOVE … VIOLET/PURPLE), I can’t help but think of that little pink camera that will sit in a drawer until my mother uses it to practice with.

My mom has NEVER owned a digital camera, and she’s hesitant as she honestly doesn’t know how to use them (wait until she gets a Samsung GS-4 phone in a few weeks; should be fun).

While she’ll care for it lovingly … that pink camera has been part of my life for five (5) years.  I can’t help but feel like I’m abandoning it. Still, I know … in its current condition, retirement is a kind thing for it. It’s been through enough.

[Pink camera has been in a "bad state" for a while. This was late last year -- 2014]
[Here it sits ... waiting for retirement. Picture was taken with new camera]

I just didn’t realize that saying goodbye to a camera was this hard … just wait until I have kids and they go off to college. I can home school them only so far … 

No comments:

Post a Comment