Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter 2014

I’m sure you’re all wondering about the “Star of David”/Cross pendant I attached to my “Easter” basket. It is something I have been hiding for quite a while.

Perhaps, this is … in some form … my way of “coming out” of the closet with regard to my religious preferences (I am “straight” in my personal/love life, FYI).

I don’t know how to tell anyone this, but today seems about right.

But, first …



WARNING: IF YOU DON’T WANT TO READ ABOUT RELIGION OR MY THOUGHTS ON HOW I WORSHIP … STOP NOW, MOVE ON!!!  FIRST AND FINAL WARNING. HATEFUL, JUDGMENTAL, AND “TROLLING” COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.




If you’re still here … good, and thank you!


Growing up, in school, to be “politically correct” as some might call it, we celebrated Hanukkah and Christmas together. My grandmother broke me of this habit early on. But, to me, it felt wrong to not celebrate both. After all … what did Jesus celebrate? Did he call it Christmas or “birthday’? Did he celebrate his birthday at all?

As I learned about Jesus, I learned that he lived his life celebrating the Jewish faith, and was sometimes referred to as a “Rabbi”. His teachings, from what I know, are based on the Jewish faith and laws.

John 11:5-8 – Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So, when he heard that Lazarus was ill, he stayed two days longer in the place where he was. Then after this he said to the disciples, “Let us go to Judea again.” The disciples said to him, “Rabbi, the Jews were just now seeking to stone you, and are you going there again?

One thing I didn’t get into, nor do I, is how each religion developed after that. All I know is how Jesus lived and worshipped. There is a story (in the bible) that Jesus celebrated Hanukkah at “temple” or “synagogue”.

John 10:22-23 – “And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter. And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon’s porch.”

This is, again “for me”, how I feel. I am not debating what is right or wrong for anyone but myself …

If I want to truly follow him and his teachings, I cannot just be a “Christian”. I am a “Jewish-Christian”.

There. I said it. I’m “out”.

I’ve labeled myself as such for well over six (6) to seven (7) years.  Last Christmas (2013), my mother gave me the pendant you see. I wear it every day, proudly. Most recently the chain it came with broke, so I had to use a back-up. It (next to my NASCAR ones) is the MOST important one I own.

For me … it symbolizes how Jesus lived his life, worshipped, and his teachings. The small cross is symbolic of the one act we can do for another – give our lives … as many police officers, firefighters, and military often do every day.

I celebrate Easter by remembering that, and this “passage”:

John 11 – 55 And the Jews’ passover was nigh at hand: and many went out of the country up to Jerusalem before the passover, to purify themselves. 56 Then sought they for Jesus, and spake among themselves, as they stood in the temple, What think ye, that he will not come to the feast?”

At Passover, Easter, Hanukkah, and at Christmas I remember who Jesus was ... to me.

Happy Passover and Happy Easter.





PS: The chocolate bunnies are a nice little treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment